You don’t need to hire a life coach to ask powerful coaching questions – you can just as easily ask them yourself. All you need is an open mind, a pen and paper and a willingness to acknowledge the answers may not always be the ones you want (but probably the ones you need).
Asking the right question at the right time can help unstick you from the situation you’re in. It can propel you forward in an instant although it’s not without a price. Some questions require a level of honesty that is not always comfortable. But if you’re willing to give it a go, asking such deceptively simple questions can save you a lot of time and energy by providing focus, clarity and purpose.
There are hundreds of coaching questions available – a quick online search will bring up thousands of results. Here are just 36 of my favourites. They’re not in any order because that would be impossible. Each coaching conversation is different. The question you need to ask yourself today will not be the same as the one you ask tomorrow.
There are a couple of ways to approach this. You can just read through the questions below and see which one stands out for you the most – that’s the question to focus on right now. Or, feel free to take this list, print it out and cut it up so you have coaching ‘cards’. Give them a good shuffle and when it feels right, pick a question at random. There is no right or wrong – whichever question resonates the most, that’s the one to focus on.
36 Powerful Coaching Questions
- What’s the real challenge for you?
- How do you stop yourself?
- What motivates you?
- What is your gut telling you?
- If not now, when?
- Is this the problem or the solution?
- What’s in the way?
- What’s stopping you?
- What does this mean to you?
- Are you focused on what’s wrong or what’s right?
- Is this a limitation or is it a strength?
- What rules do you have that are getting in the way?
- Do you want this for its own sake or are you trying to avoid something else?
- Is this giving you energy or draining your energy?
- How long have you been thinking about this?
- If you changed your belief about this, what would be possible?
- Will this choice move you forward or keep you stuck?
- What’s the first step you need to take?
- What do you want to do with your energy from now on?
- What could you be happy about if you chose to be?
- How would you like it to be?
- What could you do differently?
- Who wouldn’t like it if you succeeded?
- If you don’t change this, what will it cost you in the long run?
- What would happen if it worked?
- If you weren’t afraid, what would you do?
- What are you pretending not to know?
- Which step could you take that would make the biggest difference, right now?
- Have you decided to take action or are you just hoping you will?
- Who can help you with this?
- Who do you need to become in order to succeed here?
- Instead of either/or, how could you use both?
- Are you approaching this from your head or from your heart?
- Is this an assumption or have you checked to be sure?
- Why does it matter?
- Where did this belief come from?
Which of these questions resonates most with you? What questions aren’t included but should be on the list? Which coaching questions do you like to ask yourself? Let me know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below.